Monday, November 25, 2013

The Thankful Project - Day 25


I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for Day 25 of the Thankful Project. 
Today's prompt is: something you know.

Last night our furnace decided to act up.  It was about 10:30pm and close to 17 degrees outside.  When the heat kicked on, we started to smell a horrible odor like something was burning.  The furnace chimney and flue were really hot and something just didn't seem right.  We turned the whole thing off.  I put socks and an extra blanket on Emily; re-dressed a half asleep Caroline into fleece PJs and swaddled her, then put socks on myself and went to bed.

Jerry didn't go to bed.  He stayed up until about 2am Googling and trying to troubleshoot the issue.  From what I understand, it's either a cracked something-or-other that means the furnace needs to be replaced; or it's that the oil in the tank outside got too cold and somehow the coldness affects combustion.  When I woke up this morning, the heat was on and the smell was gone.  Jerry had figured out something for the time being but apparently we need someone to come check it out (this is when I really wish we lived closer to my dad, the HVAC genius).

I'm not thankful for the furnace crapping out.  I'm thankful that I know Jerry will do whatever it takes (like ditching much-needed sleep and ignoring horrible back pain) to keep us warm and safe.  I went to sleep thinking that we were just going to leave it off and deal with it until we could figure something else out, but he stayed up late and tried to fix it -- then got up at 5:30 and went to work.  

I'm also glad that he is willing and able to teach me how to do different things around the house on the off-chance and God-forbid anything happened to him.  I wouldn't be completely helpless because I know how to do a few things for myself.  

The furnace issue is just one of the many *lovely* and unfortunate things that have been put on our plate recently.  But somehow I know that things will be ok -- Jerry will make sure of it. :)

And then he'll do this:

Trying to relieve some lower back pain while taking one for the team...aka shopping (BEFORE the whole furnace thing happened).  He might be relieving pressure elsewhere too, but I'm not quite sure ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment