Monday, November 25, 2013

The Thankful Project - Day 23

Thankfulness challenge--28 days of blogging about gratitude

I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for Day 23 of the Thankful Project
Today's prompt is: something you've seen.


I'm thankful that I've seen how sisters can become best friends.  Growing up, my sister Sara and I were typical sisters.  Cat fights (sometimes fist fights) and arguing over...anything/everything.  But also playing together (you know, school, house, cooking show, dress up) and staying up late talking & giggling. 

High school was a different story.  We didn't really get along at all.  We barely tolerated each other -- she scared my friends (seriously my best friend was scared of her until, like, after college) and I pestered her and her boyfriends.  

Sometime in college, we started having more things in common and hanging out more.  In 2005 she moved across the county.  That sucked.  

September 2007
But then she moved back -- and brought her fiance (now husband) with her.  We had the awesome experience of being pregnant at the same time (in the summer...) which was a lot of fun and also a little surreal.

Spring/Summer 2010
Then I moved 2 hours away.  It sucks not to live just across town from her and my brother-in-law and beautiful niece, but I think we probably talk on the phone more now than we did when we lived 5 minutes away from each other. 


Christmas 2012 - she's holding Emily and I'm holding her daughter, Abby.
When I found out I was pregnant for the second time, I hoped really hard that it would be a girl so that Emily could have a sister and hopefully the same kind of relationship that Sara and I have.  I felt guilty whenever I thought about the baby's gender because I really didn't want a boy (I'm sure I would have been thrilled either way, but a big part of me would have been sad if Caroline had been a boy because I knew we were probably done having kids and Emily wouldn't have had a sister).   BUT Caroline IS a girl and I'm so extremely happy about that.  





I know that my girls will go through the same nonsense that Sara and I did when we were younger, but I have a feeling they will end up being close and -- hopefully -- best friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment