Monday, September 30, 2013

Oh! So that's what 5am looks like...

Well, I did it.  I talked about it and talked about it and I finally did it.  I got up at 5am (ok, it was more like 5:20) and walked/jogged a mile around my neighborhood.  There's really nothing remarkable about this except for the fact that I really didn't want to do it, but I did.

I didn't track my time or pace (it took a really LONG time, that's all I know).  It was probably about 18-20 minutes.  For one mile.  I know, that's pretty pathetic.  But I needed to start somewhere, at least it shouldn't be too hard to get faster since I can't get much slower...

When the alarm went off at 5:15, I seriously considered just turning it off and rolling over.  But I would have to make an excuse to Jerry (who I have asked to give me tough love and encouragement at 5am - but I'm relatively sure that if I had said I didn't feel like it, he would have just grunted and gone back to sleep), and I already had my workout clothes on.  Literally all I had to do was pee and put my shoes on.  So I dragged myself out of bed.  And honestly, once I was outside, I was really glad I did.

Yeah, it took me a long time, and yeah after I ran the first couple minutes I felt like my lungs were going to explode and I was going to die, but I was out there, breaking a sweat and it felt pretty good.  It was nice and cool, almost too cold, my throat was really sore from (incorrectly) breathing the cold air.  How do you learn how to breathe?? I've tried breathing normally; I've tried breathing like women in labor do on TV and in movies (hee-hee-hoooo).  But I still get out of breath and feel like I'm going to pop a lung.

I was most frustrated that it was taking me so long to walk/jog a mile.  I could have physically gone at least two miles, but I didn't have time because my slow butt was doing a 20 minute mile and I only had enough time to do a 30 minute work out - well that's not true.  I got home and (after finishing feeding the baby that wasn't supposed to wake up for two more hours) laid back down in my bed until it was time to take a shower.  Then after my shower I laid back down again... I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that might have negated my little exercise jaunt.

So, lessons learned/to-do list:

1. Find out how the heck to breathe while jogging.
2. Don't be lazy and snooze til 5:20 if you only have an hour to workout.
3. Don't lay back down after working out - stay your ass up and get yourself to work on time.
4. Get new running shoes--2006 called, they want those nasty old Nikes back (actually they probably don't; throw those shits away).
5. Be stealthier in the morning so as not to wake the infant time-bomb...

And because I feel like every post needs a picture...

Saturday morning cuddles

No comments:

Post a Comment