Thursday, December 19, 2013

My First Roundup - Top Ten Kids' Christmas Crafts

Searching through Pinterest (because I like to pretend it's my job), I've found quite a few awesome crafty things I could do with my kids for the holidays.  I've done a couple things, but won't list them here just yet since they are gifts and I'm almost convinced some of the people who will be receiving them read this blog.

ANNNYYWAAYYY.

Really this list is just for me, because you could just as easily type in "Christmas crafts" in the Pinterest search bar and come up with most of these things.  But these are my favorites, and some that I haven't tried yet but really want to.  Let me know if you've done any of them and if they are worth the trouble... (cough -- salt dough handprint ornaments -- cough)

(These aren't really in any particular order.)

1. Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments.  I barely remember making these as a kid, but I remember them being on our tree every year.  And no matter how old they got, they still smelled so good.  We made a few (hundred) of these last year.  Kept some for our tree and gave a few as gifts.  They are really easy to make, and only sort of messy.

{Ours did NOT look this good - Source}

2. Snowflake Masking Tape Art.  This is one I just found, pinned by one of my friends today.  I just love the idea and think that Emily could probably be trusted to paint one of these next year.  Or maybe we'll try it sooner than that -- there's so many possibilities with the masking tape.  A heart for Valentine's Day? Shamrock for St. Patrick's? Pumpkin for fall? I just love it.

{Source}

3. "Mistletoes" Canvas.  This is another one I haven't tried yet but really want to.  Maybe next year when Caroline stops curling her toes under :)

{Source}

4. Gingerbread Man Paper Dolls.  I don't remember if it was me or my sister that made some of these in school, but I remember them on our Christmas tree.  I liked that they just sort of sat on the branches instead of hanging from a hook.  Something to try with my girls, maybe.

{Source}

5.  Toilet Roll Christmas Tree.  This is pretty cool.  Looks like it would be great for toddlers.  Super cheap & easy craft.  

{Source}

6. Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree Ornaments.  I think these are so cute.  And they look so easy.  AND I love that each kid can decorate them however they want.  Definitely trying this one. 

{Source}

7. Orange-Clove Pomander Balls.  Love Love Love capital L Love these things.  They smell so good and when you're done making them (which can take forever if you like to make little designs on them), your fingers may be a little sore from the pricklies of the cloves, but man they will smell good even after a couple washes.  Might not be great to do with younger kids - obviously not with babies/toddlers because they could put the cloves in their mouths ... - just because it is tedious and not all that fun (I mean, it's fun for me, but maybe not for kids).  I remember doing this with my mom when I was in intermediate and middle school - loved it.  Good times. 

{Source}

8.  Felt Christmas Tree.  I really like this.  Hours of entertainment for toddlers -- and probably me too. 

{Source}

9.  Handprint Plate.  Next year, I may make a few of these for gifts -- banking on the hope that if any of the girls' grandparents are reading this, they won't remember come Christmas 2014 -- and I'll probably keep one for us.  Maybe to use for Santa's cookies??  I'm really just a sucker for anything with my kids' handprints on it. 

{Source}

10.  Christmas Sensory Bin.  Ok this isn't a craft, but I really love the idea of sensory bins -- Emily has done them at daycare and loved it. I like that you can basically put whatever you want into a sensory bin.  So much fun!

{Source}


Hope you've enjoyed this little "Round-Up" of Christmas crafts for kids.  I'd love to hear about your holiday kid-crafting experiences!!


No comments:

Post a Comment